I came across a super easy meringue cookie recipe while looking for some inspiration for my next baking session. It was my first time making meringue cookies and always thought that it was a complicated dessert, so I never attempted. Surprisingly, it was so easy to make and needed very little ingredients!
I wasn't lazy, I made these blobs for garnishing on a cake! (Will be in my next post!)
I enjoyed my meringue cookies with a cup of my favorite tea, Earl Grey. I even shared some with some neighbors!
I hope you'll enjoy these as much as I did!
Vanilla Meringue Cookies Recipe
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
6 egg whites at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 170F.
- In a bowl, combine the two sugars. Then line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the egg whites in a mixing bowl and whip them with an electric mixer on high speed until frothy. Add the cream of tartar. Beat again on high speed until the egg whites start to thicken. Slowly add the sugar mixture in small amounts at a time.
- Beat until the mixture is shiny and holds stiff peaks. Make sure the sugar is dissolved all the way and doesn't feel grainy.
- Spoon the meringue in large heaps on the cookie sheets, or use a piping bag with a star tip to pipe little swirls on a parchment lined sheet pan.
- Place the cookie sheets in oven and bake for 2 hours, rotating the pans halfway through baking. Turn off the oven and let the meringues cool down with the oven, about 1 hour even overnight. When the oven is cool, remove the meringues. They should lift easily from the parchment paper.
- Enjoy with a cup of tea or share with friends! (They can last up to 3 days in an air tight container).
Baking & Pastry Arts student
Aspiring food stylist